Friday, June 21, 2013

It's Staaaaarting!!

We're all still pretty jet lagged, so it's 7:15 pm right now, but it feels like a million o'clock.  

Today  *sigh* was, "just one of those days," and I mean that as in the best possible day. I woke up to the sound of pouring rain, but by the time the 5 of us in our neon running attire were ready, the rain had abated just for us and our run. :) I think it rains 21 out of every 24 hours. Had a great run! The weather was good and several cars slowed down to take our picture.


After breakfast, we met together to begin the vision for this trip. Ashley and Christin, the leaders, shared with us what the Journey looked like for them when they started it back in January, how it's evolved, and showed us what they envisioned and then accomplished in their 4 months. Then, they asked us questions to help us get to know each other and our hearts for the next 6 weeks. They taped giant pieces of paper to the wall, and I got to green marker all over my sheet. I'm bursting with excitement! I like my team a whole bunch, I loved hearing their thoughts and hopes, and this Journey program just has such an amazing purpose, providing a place for people to use their talents and resources to love and help people all in the name of Jesus. It's really beautiful. 
                
  The group! 



Later, we biked for 4 hours all around Mae Sot. Our objective/goal was to get to know the city and make some new friends. We stopped to eat some Sri Lankan food, (preeety similar to Indian with the curry n the spice) and I met a girl who was researching for her graduate degree about education for the Burmese refugees- what is working and what needs to be revamped. What are the odds?! She gave me a list of NGO's in town who have started educational non-profits, we're excited to check those out!
 
                     

What's been humbling is how many people have a passion for the Burmese refugees in Thailand and are actively trying to be a part of a movement to address and change, "unacceptable realities" that are normal in their lives. I am grateful to jump on board with them and hopefully start something that is lasting.
   

P.S. Had the sweeeeeetest mango for breakfast this morning, and it cost 1 baht. That's about 3 cents, folks. Oh, and while zipping around town today, I bought a bag of flower cut pineapple, and that cost 20 baht. LOVE inexpensive super tasty fresh fruit! :)

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm... Mango!!! Bring me home a sweet Mango! I'm loving this blog, so awesome! Makes me feel like i'm a part of your mission! Love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huggies! Sweet drippy mangoes! If there is even a slight possibility that I can bring you one, I will. :) Happy late birthday, friend!

      Delete
  2. What an awesome day!!! So encouraged by this blog. I'm excited about your adventures, from the running, fruit, biking, encounters, culture, leadership meetings, to the awesome hope for the Burmese refugees and unacceptable realities to start changing for them! I did some reading on their camps/lives this week, and to know you are RighT TherE working for their present and future, just blows my mind. Outstanding, friend. Humbled, amazed. Like a good juicy mango that was nearly free, continue to soak up the goodness all around, feed on the goodness so you are always giving it out. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're amazing. I've been researching, too. :) We're both doing it on opposite sides of the world! Thank you, Mer, for your encouragement.

      Delete